Friday, October 16, 2015

Carry On!

Every avalanche starts with a single snowflake - I am the snowflake right now.

I'm trying to make a huge focus on cardio and stretching. The stretching is obvious, but the cardio is for speed endurance, and to allow me to take more jumps.  Interesting story about this.

I trained a friend one time, who with eight knee surgeries, could not run.  So of course he came to me with a goal to run a 60 second 400m, or a "4 minute mile pace" in his mind.

I put him on the "Gauntlet", the REAL stair, StairMaster and not that little wussy ride up and down, the LifeCycle on the hill profile, and lifted legs a lot. Every two weeks he would run a 200m run to see where he was.

In six months he was ready to enter a masters meet.  This guy had never run in a track meet before so I introduced him to the other runners I knew and told them about his improbable mission.  He got last by a long way but everyone cheered for this "newcomer" making his debut in his first and last race ever.  

The goal was for the other runners to drag him, and for him to push himself through a 60 second lap.  The result? An astounding 57.4. This from a guy who could not run in practice because of eight knee surgeries.

So to protect my feet, Achilles, and everything else, I'm depending on this approach to get me up to speed without the impact on my body.  Of course I will jump and run twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but these other four days of speed endurance should make a huge difference over the next year.  I'll go 12 minutes on the stairs one day, and 12 minutes on the bike the next.

Nothing makes you feel faster on the runway than being flexible.  I'm more than doubling my daily time commitment to it. I think the combination of these two things will make ah huge differe,  Thanks for stopping by!  Bubba

PS - I'm back to tracking my lifting totals - just under 25,000 lbs. lifted over the past two days.  It's a start.

Megadeth - "Holly Wars" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4ui9q7eDM

No comments:

Post a Comment