Saturday, December 12, 2015

Phantom Progress!!

I'm going to say something that probably only a relatively small number of vaulters will ever say; "Right now it's more important how well I jump than how high I jump.  Sounds weird but I've made more progress in my technique over the past three sessions and am really gaining momentum."

Physically I'm still pretty trashed because of my training load, but technically I have better control than I've had over the past 18 months.  When rest meets technique I think I'll be good.

Example - I'm jumping a lot from 2 strides/4 steps/22'/7m run, and my 3/6/33'/10m run.  Beat up I can jump 11'/3.35m from 3/6, which means I can jump 11'6"/3.51m from 4/8, 12'/3.66m from 5/10, 12'6"/3.81m from 6/12 and 13'/3.97m from my long run of 7/14.  Considering only two people have ever jumped 13' over 60 years old I would say I'm on track. In fact I don't move back to the next one until I achieve this technical transfer.

This said, I should be able to jump 11'6'/3.51 from 3/6 once my body catches up to the training, as this is my norm.  From there you can project the rest.

I think most good vaulters just came out of this phase 1-2 months ago but I want to be ready late next summer and into the Fall for World Masters Athletics in October in Perth, Australia, followed by the World Masters Games in Auckland, New Zealand in April of 2017.  For these goals I'm on target or early.  I will jump in Reno for accountability of my progress.

My move back to California, and my reduced travel will really help me stay on track.  Loving this training and progress.  About time.  Have a great evening and thanks for checking in.  Bubba

Kris Dahl - "Love Me" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedjlcQQs0A

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan...I have often worked on being more technically proficient on short approach runs, hoping that the improvement in technique would lead to good heights at a full run. I bever seem to get enough competitions under my belt to see the results I have been hoping for...but I'm really good at making 11 feet from 4 lefts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan...I have often worked on being more technically proficient on short approach runs, hoping that the improvement in technique would lead to good heights at a full run. I bever seem to get enough competitions under my belt to see the results I have been hoping for...but I'm really good at making 11 feet from 4 lefts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bubba, that plan sounds so consistence with all the things you have said over the years. You are one of the few people/ vaulters that stick with your plan. Once again you have inspired me, to keep working on technique. I am still working on my arm pressure at take off and trying to be consistent. I will see you in Reno. Mike Hochderffer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Impatience means you have no confidence in your plan. Tony Robbins says that a plane on the way to Hawaii is off course 99% of the time but still gets there because of thousands of tiny adjustments. Work in progress. ;-)

    ReplyDelete