Saturday, December 19, 2015

Slow Progress, but Progress!!

I jumped a little simulated meet condition today, trying to figure out how to jump at Belton.  I started on Don's 1440 from 4 strides/8 steps, 43'.  If I hit the pole I blew it away, and if I backed off a little I wasn't in enough to turn up.  Cleared my opener of 10'6" by a mile and had good height on 11'.

I moved back a stride to 5/10/54' and went up to the 1445.  Again, I didn't get in for two jumps and then I blew it away twice before stopping.  

I think my issue is the timing on a 14'1/4.30m sailpiece is different. I need to grip a bit higher and jump through the take off a little longer.  But again, when I do that I'm off the back of the pit, and if I miss it a little I can't turn up.  Just need some more jumps to figure out the timing for the right grip and pole.

Though progress feels slow, when I hit a position I get launched.  I'm also able to run pretty well without much thought of my legs being hurt.  I do my five sleds before and five after I jump, two great leg lift days and five days of stretching.  Over time this will pay off.

I think one of my biggest problems has been that my smaller 12'4s/3.75m weren't made properly.  I won't go into it here but three of my seven poles do not behave like poles.  They have no sailpiece and respond more like a broomstick.  I spent a month trying to adapt to something that can't be jumped on.  Now I'm in a good place to continue creeping forward.

The other major issue I have had is learning how to jump at 10 lbs/4.5 kg lighter.  It changes the pole, grip, take off dynamics, etc.  I'm catching on to this and feel I will be able to get on bigger poles with higher grips again soon.

I think in Belton in two weeks I will do what I did today, and in Reno in four weeks I'll just go for it on my 13'7"/4.15m poles.  That's the plan now, besides not getting hurt.  Thanks for checking in.  Bubba

Megadeth - "99 Ways to Die" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEjE5BmMekQ

No comments:

Post a Comment